6.03.2011

Design on a Dime: High & Low

Happy Friday everyone!
Today I have another of my favorite shows to share with you. "Design on a Dime" is a show where the clients choose an inspiration room and the designers save them thousands of dollars by using similar and found items to create the same look. I love this concept!
Here is the room I'm attempting to design on a dime:



What I love about this living room is the mixture of high and low items used. Just by looking, you can tell that most of the money went into the cube tables and the beige armchairs on the left. They make the room functional. But the "low" items (meaning less expensive) are what give the room character. Aren't those patio chairs totally unexpected?! My favorite thing in the room is the old surveyor's tripod that's been turned into a light fixture. There are super cute personal touches on the mantle made of simple wood scraps, and did you notice the old roller skates on the coffee table? The consistency of the fireplace and the painting above it make it the vertical focal point of the room, and I think the neutrality of the space is what makes it work.

If you love this room as much as I do, you might be wondering, "How can I create this without breaking the bank?!" Read on....


1) Cream Linen Armchair, eBay, $649.99
2) Gray Oil Painting, eBay, $476.99
3) Gray Block Fireplace, Solus Decor, price on request
4) Vintage Roller Skates, eBay, $17.95
5) Convertible Wood Cube, Viva Terra, $549 (for set of 2)
6) Vintage Patio Chair, eBay, $99.90
7) Round Woven Baskets, Amazon, $84 (for set of 3)
8) Car Jack Table Lamp, Etsy, $85

Assuming a fireplace is already there, the total cost to create this room using the objects I've found would be $2,713. For a broke college student in a rental (yours truly), this is sadly out of the question. But for someone who owns a home, and whose living room has great high ceilings and a fireplace they don't mind putting work into, that amount is very reasonable for the entire living space.

Unfortunately, I don't know the actual cost of the inspiration room, but I think the first edition of Design on a Dime was a success! What do you think of the mix of high and low? Would you put patio chairs in your living room?
IS THIS ROOM YOUR STYLE?

No comments:

Post a Comment