5.20.2011

Dress My Nest: Paul Newman

"Dress My Nest" is a show on the Style Network with designer Thom Felicia (from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"). He's one of my favorites, but more on him later. In the show, his clients give him 3 clothing/accessory items and 3 personal items and he creates a room for them using the items as inspiration. Such a fun idea! I've wanted to take on a challenge like that for a while, so I decided to do it here.

Now, if you know me, you know that I am crazy in love with Paul Newman. I don't care that he was born 64 years before me, or that he was married, or that he died in 2008. The man was the epitome of everything American, never met a role he couldn't master, and was the ultimate business man, philanthropist and political activist. He even made jeans, undershirts, dirt and grease look sexy. Anyway, I'm currently reading a biography by Shawn Levy called, Paul Newman: A Life and learning even more reasons why I love him. It just so happens that one of my Masters professors did some design work for Paul Newman a long time ago, and I've been thinking about what kind of space he might have created (did I freak out when my professor told me this? yes, yes I did). I decided to use him as my "client" for my first attempt at the "Dress My Nest" feature of this blog.

Clothing/Accessory items:

1. Corduroy Jacket

2. Fur Collared Coat

3. Chambray Shirt

Personal items:

1. Leather Boxing Gloves

2. Bicycle

3. Metal Bottle Opener

Here is what I came up with:


I wish I had the time to do an actual rendering....it probably would have been easier than the collage anyway. I hope you can see the translation. I used the white chairs for the corduroy jacket, the rug for the fur coat, the pillows for the chambray shirt, the sofa for the leather boxing gloves, the table and wooden chair for the spokes of the bicycle, and the metal structure of the furniture and bar cart for the bottle opener. It would be better if you could tell how I would arrange the furniture, but I'm still pretty happy with it. I think the space feels lived in and casual but still classy and masculine, just like Paul himself. And that table is pretty awesome, right?

This sofa was a close second choice:

I think it has so much wonderful character and I love the buckle detailing. I don't think it would be appropriate for a living room, though. It would probably be better in a low traffic area like an office, where Paul would have sat to study politics and create salad dressing recipes :)

So, would you like to see more installments of the "Dress My Nest" feature?
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?


No comments:

Post a Comment