5.18.2011

Trending: Exposed Brick

Living in Chicago, there are bricks galore. Unfortunately, finding an apartment with original exposed brick wasn't as easy as you might think in a city full of old buildings. But I still love it and if I ever end up with the perfect apartment, I have a few ideas as to how I would incorporate the beautiful wall into my space.

One of the benefits of exposed brick is that you don't have to go crazy with furniture and accessories. The brick is enough visual interest that the rest of the room can be simple.

 

In the image below, the cabinets are about as simple as they come. The clean lines of the crisp white cabinets make the room feel modern, even with the old brick and obviously worn wood floors. I love the metal counters and barstools against the brick as well as the mix of silver and gold, which is very in right now. This space feels lived-in yet elegant, and I like!


In this living room, the color scheme is layered white with pops of blue and green. The brick fireplace has been painted to work with this palette and framed with an old wood mantle. Other wooden accents like the coffee and sofa tables give a rustic feel to the otherwise perfectly charming space.


More painted brick with very simple metal furniture:


The geometry of the exposed brick and plaster wall is echoed in the rug which covers part of the concrete floor. So perfect. And of course, I adore the antlers!


The high ceilings, black and white color scheme, mirrored surfaces, and tufted furniture provide luxurious elements in a space dominated by masculine brick walls.


Look how light and romantic a space can feel despite the dark brick in the next few photos:




In contrast to the light colors used in the above spaces, the following spaces successfully pair the bricks with heavy wood, whether in the form of beamed ceilings or rustic furniture.



And finally, this is my favorite room of all. It has metal, wood and white paint all in one and it's enough to make me drool!


So, what is your favorite way to use exposed brick? Do you like it painted or au-naturel? Do you prefer the industrial or romantic look? Would you play up the masculinity of the dark material or tone it down with light colors and soft textiles? Would you use antlers?! Cause I would :)

I may have gone a little picture-happy in my first post, but I can't help that 
I LOVE EXPOSED BRICK!

1 comment:

  1. Love all the brick work! It looks fantastic. I have brick work which I'd like to paint giving it a White vintage look like ur kitchen. How do u it? What type or paint do you use? Please email and tell me catherineoconnor02@ hotmail.com xx

    ReplyDelete